Real Estate & Professional Services

Whether you’re a buyer or an owner, a cottage is a significant investment. That’s why, at some point, you will likely call on the services of a professional to rule out any ambiguities that may arise and to verify crucial information about your cottage.

Perhaps you’re negotiating the purchase of a new cottage or maybe you’re a veteran cottage owner. Along the road, as an owner of a recreational property, you will probably need to consult with an appraiser or a home inspector, a lawyer or a land surveyor, or an insurance broker.


If you want to buy a cottage and require financing, a real estate appraiser will estimate the value of the property and provide an opinion of value. The bank or lending institution will usually direct the property appraisal. Financial institutions typically use their own trusted appraisers.

If you are ready to sell your cottage, you may want an appraiser to prepare a market value estimate for your property, which could be helpful to establish a listing price. In this scenario, you have the opportunity to choose an appraiser.

Callaghan Appraisal
Stephen Callaghan, CRA
80 Iris Drive
R.R. #1
Cameron, Ontario K0M 1N0
Tel: 705-887-9541 or 705-324-2972
Fax: 705-878-3848
Kawartha Lakes Appraisal
Ernie McElrea, CRA
144 Adelaide Street North
Lindsay, Ontario
Tel: 705-328-1399
Fax: 705-328-0547

Home Inspectors

If you plan to buy a cottage, you should make arrangements for a home inspection. A home inspection typically includes the physical structure and mechanical systems within a residential building, including the heating, central air conditioning, electrical, and plumbing systems.

Handley Home Inspections
William Handley
92 Burnt River Road
Burnt River, Ontario K0M 1C0
Cell: 705-928-5121
(Also conducts WETT and septic inspections, and provides cottage inspections)
Ontario Professional Home Inspection Company Inc.
Michael Kelsey
756 Alpine Lake Road
Bobcaygeon, Ontario
Tel: 705-731-7842
HomePro Inspections Central Ontario Inc.
Michael Rahme
177 Highland Street, Suite 1
Haliburton, Ontario K0M 1S0
Toll-free: 1-800-832-0519
Tel: 1-705-455-9055
Know Your Home Inspections Inc.
Pam Sayne
1013 Pinoak Lane
Minden, Ontario K0M 2L1
Tel: 705-454-9384
(This home inspection firm also conducts WETT inspections)
County Home Inspection
David Sharman
459 George Street North
Peterborough, Ontario K9H 3R6
Tel: 705-957-3642
(Also conducts WETT and septic inspections, and provides cottage inspections.)


John Bryant Insurance Broker Inc.
Todd Bryant
3 South Water Street
Box 179
Coboconk, Ontario K0M 1K0
Tel: 705-454-3387
(Home, cottage, auto, boat, and motorcycle insurance)


If you're buying a cottage, you may want a lawyer to review your agreement of purchase and sale.

Warner & Cork
Ron Cork
22 Peel Street
PO Box 333, Station Main
Lindsay, Ontario K9V 4S3
Tel: 705-324-6196
Fax: 705-324-7440
Toll-free: 1-800-461-0373
David Gowanlock
16 May Street
Fenelon Falls, Ontario K0M 1N0
Tel: 705-887-2582
Fax: 705-887-1871
Tyler Higgins
6654 Highway 35
Coboconk, Ontario K0M 1K0
Tel: 705-454-2665
Fax: 705-454-2625
James (Jim) Webster
20 Francis Street West
Fenelon Falls, Ontario
Post office box 103, K0M 1N0
Tel: 705-887-2533
Fax: 705-887-4285


If you’re a buyer, you may obtain a survey to legally define the cottage property you plan to purchase. If you plan to sell, you may want a survey to verify the size and extent of the land you own.

You may also need a survey if you want to build an addition to your cottage or make an improvement that could encroach on your neighbour’s property. You’ll also have to obtain a survey if you plan to move forward with a land severance.

Coe, Fisher, Cameron
257 Kent Street West
Lindsay, Ontario K9V 2Z3
Tel: 705-324-4152
Toll-Free: 1-800-752-2704
Fax: 705-324-8406