Head Lake Real Estate ~ Market Value Update
Whether you are an owner of a cottage who is considering selling, or a prospective buyer, it is important to be as informed as possible on local market conditions. In my previous career as a managing director at a major Canadian financial institution, I developed a deep appreciation for the importance of sound analytics, and have applied these concepts to glean insights on broader market trends as well as individual property valuation. In an effort to promote greater transparency and efficiency in our local markets, I am pleased to provide monthly in-season statistics and commentary on each of the major lakes in our service area. If you are interested in a more precise valuation of your property, please contact me at (705) 438-3000 or email me and I would be happy to provide a value estimate at no cost.
~ David Donais, Sales Representative/Owner
Head Lake Market Value Update ~ May 18, 2018
- Since April 30, there has been one new listing and no additional sales on the lake.
Head Lake Market Value Update ~ April 30, 2018
- There has been very little activity on the lake so far in 2018, with only two new listings and one sale. This is no doubt attributable primarily to the late spring. Last year there were two new listings and three sales in the January to April period.
2017 Head Lake Summary
- The average sale price was $454,000 in 2017, up 19% from 2016, and 65% from 2014.
- Eleven properties were sold in 2017, down from a historically high level of 30 sales in 2016, but in line with pre-2016 levels.
- Market dynamics on Head Lake (and all of the Western Kawarthas) were influenced by events in the GTA housing market. The spring market was especially frothy, with large numbers of buyers competing for relatively few listings. Bidding wars were common.
- Cottage buyer interest receded somewhat after the imposition of the foreign buyer tax in the GTA. Mid-priced cottages continued to sell quickly, however, while sales of higher priced cottages slowed considerably.
- The trend to higher market values on Head Lake was supported by another metric we track closely – the Sale Price to Assessed Value Ratio. In 2017, the average ratio for Head Lake was 1.42, a 20% increase from the 1.18 ratio realized in 2016.
- Kawartha Waterfront Realty listed two of the three highest priced properties on Head Lake in 2017. One of these sales in October 2017 was a record high sale price for Head Lake.
- The average Sale Price to Assessed Value Ratio for the three properties sold by Kawartha Waterfront Realty on Head Lake in 2017 was 1.75, significantly higher than the 1.29 ratio achieved on the other eight sales (sold by a combined five other brokerages) in 2017.
- The 2017 trend on Head Lake towards higher average sale prices, higher Sale Price to Assessed Value ratios, and a relatively low volume of listings, is broadly consistent with trends on other lakes we track closely (Shadow/Four Mile/Balsam/Sturgeon/Cameron).
Read Other Kawartha Lakes Market Value Updates