Four Mile Lake Real Estate ~ Market Value Update
Whether you are an owner of a cottage who is considering selling, or a prospective buyer, it is important to be as informed as possible on local market conditions. In my previous career as a managing director at a major Canadian financial institution, I developed a deep appreciation for the importance of sound analytics, and have applied these concepts to glean insights on broader market trends as well as individual property valuation. In an effort to promote greater transparency and efficiency in our local markets, I am pleased to provide monthly in-season statistics and commentary on each of the major lakes in our service area. If you are interested in a more precise valuation of your property, please contact me at (705) 438-3000 or email me and I would be happy to provide a value estimate at no cost.
~ David Donais, Sales Representative/Owner
Four Mile Lake Market Value Update ~ June 30, 2018
Both listings and sales are down from last year.
- There were no new sales on Four Mile Lake in June 2018. Both listings and sales are down on a year-to-date basis in 2018 as compared to 2017.
Four Mile Lake Market Value Update ~ May 31, 2018
Sales so far this year have been concentrated at the lower end of the price range.
- Since April 30, there has been one new listing and one additional sale on the lake. Listing activity is down significantly from May 2017, when there were seven new listings and two sales. On a year-to-date basis (Jan. 1/18 – May 31/18), new listings are down moderately from last year.
- The average sale price of the three properties sold to-date in 2018 is $497,000, down significantly from the average sale price of $719,000 for the three properties sold in the same time period last year, and the $655,000 average price for all Four Mile Lake sales in 2017.
- The average Sale Price-to-MPAC Assessed Value ratio for the three sales so far this year is 1.22, down from the 1.47 ratio realized on the three sales in the same period last year, and the 1.55 ratio realized for all sales on Four Mile Lake last year. These results are consistent with the trend highlighted last year where properties with lower assessed values sold for a lower multiple of assessed value.
- There are insufficient data points to provide confidence of a downward trend in pricing on Four Mile Lake so far in 2018. Indeed, the strong May results for Sturgeon Lake may provide some support – Sturgeon Lake trends tend to be a leading indicator of trends on other lakes in the region. Anecdotal evidence from our buyer agents that buyers are now coming out in much greater numbers also support the thought that the market may improve as we move into the summer months.
Four Mile Lake Market Value Update ~ May 18, 2018
- Since April 30, there has been one new listing and one additional sale on the lake. On a year-to-date basis (Jan. 1/18 – May 18/18), total sales volume on the lake is $1.3 million, down from $2.1 million for the same period last year.
Four Mile Lake Market Value Update ~ April 30, 2018
- There has been somewhat more market activity on Four Mile Lake so far in 2018 than in the same period last year. There have been five new listings and two sales over the Jan. 1 – Apr. 30 period versus two new listings and one sale during the same period last year. There are insufficient data points to identify a definitive trend, but market activity on the larger lakes such as Sturgeon and Balsam lakes suggest more of a buyer’s market in 2018 in contrast to the seller’s market in 2017.
- The two sales in 2018 yielded an average sale price to assessed value ratio of 1.26, well below last year’s average of 1.55 for all 2017 sales on Four Mile Lake (see summary below).
- The four active listings as at April 30, 2018 had an average list price to assessed value ratio of 1.49, in line with last year’s average of 1.55 for all 2017 sales on Four Mile Lake.
2017 Four Mile Lake Summary
- The average sale price was $655,000 in 2017, up 23% from 2016, and 68% from 2015.
- Eleven properties were sold in 2017, unchanged from 2016. However, 2017 was unusual in that 8 of the 11 sales occurred in the north-east corner of the lake. There were very few listings on other areas of the lake in 2017.
- Market dynamics on Four Mile Lake (and all of the western Kawarthas) were influenced by events in the GTA housing market. The spring market was especially frothy, with large numbers of buyers competing for relatively few listings.
- Cottage buyer interest receded somewhat after the imposition of the foreign buyer tax in the GTA. Mid-priced cottages (up to $600,000) continued to sell quickly, however, while sales of higher priced cottages slowed considerably.
- The trend to higher market values on Four Mile Lake was supported by another metric we track closely – the Sale Price to Assessed Value Ratio. In 2017, the average ratio for Four Mile Lake was 1.55, a 57% increase from the 0.99 ratio realized in 2016. There was a distinct difference in ratios in 2017 depending on the assessed value of the property. The average ratio for properties with assessed values above $400,000 was 1.61, while the average ratio for properties with assessed values below $400,000 was 1.43. This indicates that cottage buyers were willing to pay a premium for top quality properties.
- The 2017 trend on Four Mile Lake towards higher average sale prices, higher Sale Price to Assessed Value ratios, and a relatively low volume of listings, is consistent with trends on other lakes we track closely (Shadow/Head/Balsam/Sturgeon/Cameron).
Read Other Kawartha Lakes Market Value Updates