Cameron Lake Real Estate ~ Market Value Update
Whether you are an owner of a cottage who is considering selling, or a prospective buyer, it is important to be as informed as possible on local market conditions. In my previous career as a managing director at a major Canadian financial institution, I developed a deep appreciation for the importance of sound analytics, and have applied these concepts to glean insights on broader market trends as well as individual property valuation. In an effort to promote greater transparency and efficiency in our local markets, I am pleased to provide monthly in-season statistics and commentary on each of the major lakes in our service area. If you are interested in a more precise valuation of your property, please contact me at (705) 438-3000 or email me and I would be happy to provide a value estimate at no cost.
~ David Donais, Sales Representative/Owner
Cameron Lake Market Value Update ~ May 18, 2018
- Since April 30, there have been three new listings and no additional sales on the lake. On a year-to-date basis (Jan. 1/18 – May 18/18), total sales volume on the lake is $1.35 million, down from $3.0 million for the same period last year.
Cameron Lake Market Value Update ~ April 30, 2018
- Waterfront market activity on Cameron Lake so far in 2018 is in line with the same period last year. Since Jan. 1, 2018, there have been eight new listings and three sales on the lake. Last year during the same period there were also eight new listings and three sales. This trend is in sharp contrast to neighbouring Balsam and Sturgeon Lakes, where the market is considerably slower in comparison to last year.
- The three sales so far this year were all below $500,000 in value. In contrast, the three sales in the same period the previous year were all above $500,000 in value.
- The three sales this year also had a relatively low average sale price to assessed value ratio of 1.17, in comparison to the average of 1.33 for all Cameron Lake sales in 2017 (see summary below).
2017 Cameron Lake Summary
- The average sale price on Cameron Lake was $659,000 in 2017, up 17% from 2016.
- Twelve properties were sold in 2017, down significantly from the record high level of 24 in 2006.
- Market dynamics on Cameron Lake (and all of the western Kawarthas) were influenced by events in the GTA housing market. The spring market was especially frothy, with large numbers of buyers competing for relatively few listings.
- Cottage buyer interest receded somewhat after the imposition of the foreign buyer tax in the GTA. Mid-priced cottages (up to $600,000) continued to sell quickly, however, while sales of higher priced cottages slowed considerably.
- The trend to higher market values on Cameron Lake was supported by another metric we track closely – the Sale Price to Assessed Value Ratio. In 2017, the average ratio for Cameron Lake was 1.33, a 25% increase from the 1.06 ratio realized in 2016.
- The 2017 trend on Cameron Lake towards higher average sale prices, higher Sale Price to Assessed Value ratios, and a relatively low volume of listings, is consistent with trends on other lakes we track closely (Balsam/Sturgeon/Four Mile/Shadow/Head).
- Looking forward to the 2018 season, early indications are that cottage buyer interest remains high, supported by a stabilizing housing market in the GTA. It remains to be seen whether higher interest rates and new mortgage stress test rules will negatively impact the cottage market.
Read Other Kawartha Lakes Market Value Updates